Breast Augmentation in Aberdeen
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that increases the size, fullness, shape and symmetry of the breasts. It is a popular procedure among women who are looking to enhance their appearance or restore breast volume that has been lost due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight loss, or ageing.
What Does Breast Augmentation Involve?
The most common method of breast augmentation (enlargement/enhancement or "boob job") uses implants to increase the size and alter the shape of the breasts. We use the latest implant technology from Motiva to provide you with a safe breast augmentation that both looks and feels natural and has the added assurance of Motiva's improved support programmes.
Breast augmentation can also be achieved by using your own tissues - unwanted fatty deposits in the abdomen and thighs can be removed by liposuction and transferred to the breasts to enhance their size and shape.
Increasingly, we are using both techniques together - hybrid breast augmentation - to get the most natural results.
How is Breast Augmentation Performed?
Breast Augmentation with Implants
In our Aberdeen clinic, breast augmentation is performed under local anaesthetic and sedation as a day case procedure
- Local anaesthetic is used to numb the treatment area
- Sedation is given by an anaesthetist, to reduce anxiety and increase comfort
- A small incision is made below the breast, near the skin crease (inframammary incision)
- A pocket is made for the implant - this can be under the breast tissue (subglandular), the pectoral muscle (submuscular), or both (dual plane)
- We are also experienced in subfascial breast augmentation, where the implant is placed under the muscle fascia, without damaging the chest muscle
- The implant is inserted using a sterile funnel, to reduce the risk of infection
- The incision is closed with absorbable sutures
- Fat transfer can be added at this stage if necessary
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation with fat transfer is performed under local anaesthetic and sedation as a day case. We use the Beautifill fat transfer system as it gently removes fat and ensures high fat viability.
- Local anaesthetic is used to numb the breasts and areas for liposuction
- Laser-assisted liposuction is performed to harvest fat
- The fat is carefully processed and injected into the breasts to enhance size and shape
How long does the procedure take?
Breast augmentation with implants usually takes 60-90 minutes. Fat transfer and hybrid breast augmentation takes a little longer, approximately 2.5 hours.
What is the recovery like after breast augmentation?
The recovery from breast augmentation is usually straightforward:
- You can go home the same day
- Discomfort is minimal and can be managed with simple painkillers
- You need to wear a surgical bra for at least 6 weeks
- You can return to work in 1-2 weeks
- You can return to sports/exercise in 6-8 weeks